Son of Beast Loses Loop & Title

Theme Park News

The World’s Only Looping
Wooden Coaster Will Be No More

After the accident on the Son of Beast last year that injured dozens of people, new Kings Island owner Cedar Fair has decided to remove the Son of Beast’s sole vertical loop. For King’s Island fans this is still much better than the complete removal of the coaster. But, Son of Beast will loose it’s title as the world’s only looping wooden coaster. Thanks to a stinking, snowy day (in APRIL!) I never got the chance to ride Son of Beast, so I can’t really chime in on what the loop or the entire ride is like.

The consensus in the coaster enthusiast community is that the Son of Beast is an ultra-rough, abomination. It’s massive in terms of height and speed (for a wooden coaster) and the loop seems to be added for the mere sake of marketing. Purists, especially woodie fans, would argue that wooden coasters don’t need loops even if it is possible. All of the height and speed don’t amount to much, but a really rough and intense ride. I’ve rarely seen “fun” in a Son of Beast review. Alas, I don’t have first-hand experience.

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, Intamin quietly begins working on a looping wooden coaster. With the incredible smoothness of their prefabricated wooden coasters, like El Toro, they could pull it off if any designers could. I’m sure some park will want to take the crown at some point in the future even if it’s an unnatural marriage of steel and wooden coaster qualities.

What do you think of the Son of Beast’s de-looping?

Photo courtesy of bdougherty

1. I never even got to ride son of beast, but I am going to this summer!!!!

2. IT MAJORLY SUCKS WITHOUT THE LOOP. thats what i looked forward to the most!

3. I have riddent he ride several times, with and without the loop, and I must say, a few weeks ago was the best Son of Beast felt ever. It was smooth, and actually a very enjoyable ride, even without the loop.

4. I have ridden son of beast both with and without the loop. As part of the first public train to depart on son of beast I thought, Man, this is awesome. But the last time I rode it I realized that son of beast still has all the ass kicking qualities we love… (in it's purse, next to it's tampons.)

5. this ride sucks only ride i have ever seen someone throw up on. They should take it out and put a dive coaster in instead

• lol wut? Diving coasters aren't that amazing. There is something about the roughness of a woody that you can't beat with any steel coaster (launch, dive, 4-D etc…)

I'm sad I've never had a chance to ride this and even sadder that I won't have a chance to ride it with the loop.

6. Ok..my thoughts on The Son of Beast. Even though I had the crap beat out of me, it was sooo dang fast, and that is very thrilling on a woodie. The loop could easily be left out and it would still be a very thrilling ride. However, it rendered my son with a huge knot on the side of his head, and me literally with a mild case of whiplash. We rode it 3 days before the accident that injured those 12 people. In all, I would not ride it again!

7. Loop or no loop, the ride still sucked