Roller Coasters at Ski Resorts

Roller Coaster News

Who says you can’t get your roller coaster fix in the winter? Typically, if you live outside of Florida and California you have to wait until at least March for your nearest amusement park to open. In the last few years, German company Wiegand, has installed their Alpine Coasters at many ski resorts throughout the World including four in the States. They’re not in the RCDB, so they may technically not be roller coasters, but they sure look like a lot of fun. The sled-like cars fit up to two people (snugly) and allow for the riders to adjust their speed if they want to. The brake may help those who can’t handle the out of control feeling inherent to roller coasters, but coaster enthusiasts like myself would probably never even look at the brake, much less use it.

Now, if you live near one of these four ski resorts you can get your roller coaster fix in the dead of winter. I’d imagine that they’re a smart investment for the ski resorts as it allows them offer another summer activity to their guests.

The U.S. Alpine Coasters are:
Alpine Coaster at Jiminy Peak in Massachusetts
Alpine Coaster at Park City Mountain Resort in Utah
Mountain Coaster at Wisp Resort in Maryland
Canyon Flyer at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Colorado

Rides are a bit pricey. It’s $10 for one rider or $15 for two riders for just one spin on the Mountain Coaster at Wisp. On the other hand, it is a pretty unique experience and probably worth a try. Check out this pov video on the Alpine Coaster at Park City Mountain Resort:

Read about other unusual roller coasters:
Backyard Coasters
People Powered Coaster

What do you think of these ski resort coasters? If you’ve been lucky enough to ride one of these mountain coasters or one in another country leave a review below. Leave a comment below. Thanks to reader Judy for sending me info on this.

1. Another thing is on the news it said that 3 of every 8 people that attempt to climb up mt. everest die. So how many workers will die trying to make this ride?!?!

2. Actualy i meant my first theme park idea, here`s a hint: How do roller coasters work?

3. looks fun

4. I just came back from a ski resort! But no roller coasters. 🙁

5. Definitely! They look like fun. Wouldn't mind having one in my own backyard…. if I had that kind of acreage and cash. I'm not far from Wisp. Maybe I'll give it a shot and report on it. Maybe shoot a little video.

6. There is an Alpine slide still operating at Pico a Vermont ski area next door to Killington. You can go full speed after a lot of practice. Super fast, fun and scary. It's way better than the before mentioned defunct one from the old action Park in Vernon Valley NJ. Vernon Valley is now called Mountain Creek they still operate the water park on the ski hill. Also Diablo Freeride Park…the best downhill Mountain bike park in the country.

7. Just went on one in austria twice… It was long, exciting, but most importantly, OUT OF CONTROL! This was on one pipe running down the track, and some turns required a brake or you would fall off, not that I did… I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a cheap way to have some fun

8. I just did my first Alpine Coaster, the one at Wisp in MD. This Alpine Coaster took coaster#100 for me. [ I can't imagine why it would not qualify as a roller coaster. It has tube steel rails, wheels on the car, even up-stop and side-stop. Also it's a complete circuit with a cable lift hill and a safety belt. ] I am glad it was my #100 because it was way more memorable than a regular coaster. Very fast, way faster than it looks on the videos.
    I would bet anyone who is not too light that they will use the brakes. I'm up there near 250LBS and I had to use the brakes for the bad turns. They don't bank the tracks enough on the strong turns so I kind of felt like I could pop off the sled if I did not brake. Probably impossible because of the seat belt. But years ago on an Alpine slide I caught some air, broke a runner on landing and crashed. I'm a bit older, I'm heavier, and a bit more cautious. My wife is way lighter than me and she said she did not have to use the brakes much. These things should be added to any enthusiasts must do list. A completely different experience because of how you have to control the speed.
    Also there are more of them popping up now. IE… Okemo in VT, also new ones in CO, and MN.

9. There is also one at Spirit Mountain in Duluth MN. It is a blast, but yes pricey. $8.50 a person here.

10. Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this site daily, this web page is actually good and the users are genuinely sharing
    pleasant thoughts.