Intimidator Coming to Carowinds in 2010

Roller Coaster News

UPDATE – 3/30/10 Intimidator’s open! Watch an official POV video and read some reviews here: Carowinds’ Intimidator Reviews & POV Video

Intimidator at Carowinds LogoIt’s official, Intimidator will dominate Carowinds skyline in 2010. At 232′ (23 stories), this massive new coaster will be the longest, tallest, and fastest in the South East. It’s also Bolliger & Mabillard’s tallest roller coaster in the U.S. Intimidator will speed its black Chevy Monte Carlo themed trains in excess of 75 mph.

Intimidator Overview - Carowinds 2010

Record Breaking, History Making – 232 Feet Tall – $23 Million
As I predicted, the record is a regional one, but it’s still notable. Intimidator's Airtime Hills - Carowinds 2010As the tallest roller coaster in the South East Intimidator will edge competing Six Flags Over Georgia’s Goliath height by more than 30 feet. The history refers to the fact that the roller coaster will be the park’s largest capital investment in its 37 year history at a total investment of $23 million.

The NASCAR-Earnhardt Theme
All signs pointed to the new roller coaster being named Intimidator. There were the racing theme hints, the Sporting News article stating a rollercoaster with Earnhardt marks will be built at Carowinds, and the day before, the ride’s minisite was discovered at:  www.intimidator.carowinds.com.  Tieing the new roller coaster to NASCAR was a really smart move for the park. Anyone who knows the area knows that this IS NASCAR country. It will bring a lot of attention to the park escpecially with the NASCAR Hall of Fame opening in Charlotte next year.

Early reactions point at its similarity to Diamondback at Kings Island. It will be Me in front of some B&M Intimidator Tracka Bolliger & Mabillard with red track and gray supports. I can already say that it’s going to offer a smooth comfortable ride and have a high ride capacity that should produce fairly quick moving line. These two factors are hallmarks of B&M’s roller coasters.

I will update this post on Thursday with more of my thoughts on the ride’s layout. I’ve uploaded pictures from the media event as well as 6 more shots of the new coaster on my Facebook Page. Check out this fly-over off-ride video of the Intimidator at Carowinds:

What do you think of Carowinds’ Intimidator? Leave a comment below.

1. While were on this topic does anyone know anything about a possible single rider line?

• I didn`t see anything on screamscape, but they`ve got some cool news about the re-habrecation of fantasyland in the magic kingdom, Cinderella`s castle looks like a real one.

2. Can't wait! I haven't been to KD in a few years., and although I wish we had the Carowinds coaster, the 305 should be good. I just wish it would have went back up for a second hill after the initial drop., any one else agree? Hey man, sorry about your lieing uncle; that really sucks that he said he was going to get you on the initial ride.

3. Yeah, I know, it sucks. He's always been like that, although since no one else on his/my side of the family likes roller coasters, I thought he was telling the truth. I should have known better.

• well, at least you will probably get to ride it in the next 10 years

• …Well, that was mean. BTW, I DO have a Platinum Cedar Point Season Pass, so I can go to any of their parks. I will be going this year, just not as a first rider.

• i was just saying that because i wont be able to go there in probably more than 10 years… sorry if you took it the wrong way

4. GOOD NEWS!!! There will be a single rider line more than likely. If you look at some of their construction pics for the que there is two lines going into the station and one leaveing!!!

5. well the trains are in… and it looks like one of the trains is blue!

• Blue? Wouldn't red and black do better here, considering the PHOTOS!?!?!?!?!?

• i dont know why but one of the trains is definetly blue. and the other is black and red fo sho

• yep, that is a blue train.

• Well, I'll be darned. One is blue!

Carowinds opens in just a few days! Hooray!

• I'll be sure to get up a review on Monday

• I might be going next Saturday on Opening Day! I'm not certain, but I think I'll be going next weekend. Woohoo!

• SFNE opens in 2 weeks, TGE in 4!

• Well I might see you there CFC. I'll either be wearing my millinium force shirt or my volcano shirt.

6. I can hardly wait!

7. Cedar Fair park Carowinds is reporting strong increases in season pass sales–up 30 percent over last year. They are also projecting better gate receipts.

Funny, CEO Kinzel insists the revenue picture for Cedar Fair properties is weak for the coming operating season. Odd he should think this–it is his own relative who is the General Manager at Carowinds ( the only park GM protected by an employment agreement with Apollo).

For the full story on Carowinds expected big season check this out:

Reports from those close to Cedar Fair management indicate the decision to postpone the Unitholder meeting was made several days prior–they just did not make an announcement until less than 11 hours prior to the meeting. That announcement came in the middle of the night–approximately 6 hours after the close of the business day.

This speaks volumes as to the contempt management is willing to show its Unitholders. Management was more than aware Unitholders intended to travel and attend the meeting. Some incurring great expense to do so. Ms. Frole indicated Cedar Fair would not reimburse Unitholders for their meeting expenses.

Honestly, it is time Cedar Fair get on the job of profitably operating parks and seeking a management team which is up to this task. "

8. IT WAS AWESOMMMEEEE. I rode it 3 times. effing AAAAAA. like flyingg….

9. I finally got around to riding the Intimidator today. Wow. Pretty nice hyper. Its not a Magnum or Mellinuim, but it'll do. The first drop is pretty sick, but i like the turnaround. Hands in the air is a must.

10. I work at Carowinds on the Intimdator. It is the best ride at the park and we get the most compliments on the ride. It's soooooo great. I have not been to the other one, but I will soon.

11. omg this ride was totally crazy it was awsome i loved it