Intimidator Coming to Carowinds in 2010

Roller Coaster News

UPDATE – 3/30/10 Intimidator’s open! Watch an official POV video and read some reviews here: Carowinds’ Intimidator Reviews & POV Video

Intimidator at Carowinds LogoIt’s official, Intimidator will dominate Carowinds skyline in 2010. At 232′ (23 stories), this massive new coaster will be the longest, tallest, and fastest in the South East. It’s also Bolliger & Mabillard’s tallest roller coaster in the U.S. Intimidator will speed its black Chevy Monte Carlo themed trains in excess of 75 mph.

Intimidator Overview - Carowinds 2010

Record Breaking, History Making – 232 Feet Tall – $23 Million
As I predicted, the record is a regional one, but it’s still notable. Intimidator's Airtime Hills - Carowinds 2010As the tallest roller coaster in the South East Intimidator will edge competing Six Flags Over Georgia’s Goliath height by more than 30 feet. The history refers to the fact that the roller coaster will be the park’s largest capital investment in its 37 year history at a total investment of $23 million.

The NASCAR-Earnhardt Theme
All signs pointed to the new roller coaster being named Intimidator. There were the racing theme hints, the Sporting News article stating a rollercoaster with Earnhardt marks will be built at Carowinds, and the day before, the ride’s minisite was discovered at:  www.intimidator.carowinds.com.  Tieing the new roller coaster to NASCAR was a really smart move for the park. Anyone who knows the area knows that this IS NASCAR country. It will bring a lot of attention to the park escpecially with the NASCAR Hall of Fame opening in Charlotte next year.

Early reactions point at its similarity to Diamondback at Kings Island. It will be Me in front of some B&M Intimidator Tracka Bolliger & Mabillard with red track and gray supports. I can already say that it’s going to offer a smooth comfortable ride and have a high ride capacity that should produce fairly quick moving line. These two factors are hallmarks of B&M’s roller coasters.

I will update this post on Thursday with more of my thoughts on the ride’s layout. I’ve uploaded pictures from the media event as well as 6 more shots of the new coaster on my Facebook Page. Check out this fly-over off-ride video of the Intimidator at Carowinds:

What do you think of Carowinds’ Intimidator? Leave a comment below.

1. It is about time the park got some real rides. I hope this is the start of something great!

2. hey uuhhh my name is RYAN HIGA from Hilo,Hawaii

I just started liking Coasters so yeah…

3. So…much…airtime…

4. Yeah, seriously.

5. BTW, Coaster Critic, which chain do you like better: Six Flags or Cedar Fair(not counting the fact that Carowinds is your home park, it's mine too).

6. Tough one CFC. I'll say Six Flags as my short answer without giving it too much thought. Just based on my top 2 coasters being Six Flags coasters. But when it comes to park experience, I'd probably go with Cedar Fair. For now, I'll say they're even so I can write a post where I can investigate this more.

Thanks for reading.

7. ryan higa,

are you really that dude like nigahiga or something? cause they are funny!

8. One more thing, Coaster Critic. I am a big fan of your site now, and I started my own website about Cedar Fair roller coasters. I'm still working on it, but I have the basic layout already figured out. Plus, I put in a good word about your site. Practically no one knows of it, so I'd really appreciate it if you looked at it, and maybe give me a clue on how to make it better.

• Sure CFC. Just use the <a>contact form to send me your email address and a link to your site and I'll have a look.

9. Also, I was not a big fan of coasters until 2 months ago(!), but Carowinds' Afterburn is what spiked my interest. So, when you made your review of Afterburn, you said, as you quote "It pretty much maxes out what an inverted coaster can be", yet you gave it a 9 on your rating scale. Yet, you gave Montu a 10, though it is basically the same ride. Did I miss something, or is there somethin that truly makes Montu better than Afterburn? This is a question that has been bugging me for weeks, so I'd like it if you respond ASAP.

10. Montus taller, faster, longer and has more inversions. also the theaming looks better even though i cant say it for myself seeing that i havent` ridden it yet.

• But I can say that Afterburn, or Top Gun as I formerly knew it, is just as good as Alpengeist. It's an extraordinary ride.

11. Montu has great theming for the whole ride, not dropping it like most coasters (Im talking about you here, Dueling Dragons) right after they leave the station. And I believe it has more inversions, and it is LONG.

12. Thanks QB3 and JaMeS, I found a video of Montu, and I see what you two mean. I've also heard of a rumor that the Carolina Skytower is being torn down, plus I saw that the Skytower being held up by a rope or something, but that was a month ago. Still, does anyone thing anything will happen to it, and if so, could it be the beginning of something new?

13. That rope was most likely when the guy walked from there to Papa Luigis. I think his name was Nik Wallenda or something.

14. Schwarz, what in the world are you talking about? When I saw it, a rope or cable of some sort was attached to it, and it wasn't running. I even saw the vehicle that the cable came from. It was just behind the grass tunnel near Vortex.

15. Oh, and sorry, Coaster Critic, about the side note a couple of comments back. I had no idea the "site" would become a link to a real site. Back on I232, I've heard from my uncle that the ride was originally supposed to be White Lightning, but changed it at the last minute when the White Lightning spy photo was leaked. As I said on the I305 post, my uncle works for Intamin, so they are working very closely with B&M and Cedar Fair for the 2 rides. Maybe the track mix-up a while back was a result of them working a little too closely with each other. Just a thought, but it makes sense to me.

16. CFC I was talking about when Nik Wallenda did a highwire act at carowinds. If you don't know what that is, follow this link, and click on carowinds at the bottom. http://www.cedarfair.com/nik_wallenda/

17. Sorry don't click on Carowinds because it won't show it because its already over.

18. Well, I guess I'll have to trust you on this one. Thanks for the clear-up.

19. I'll find out for sure i'm going to scarowinds in a few weeks.

20. i know this is a little of topic but talking about montu remminded me of this question, why is montus track blue i mean, i undurstand why alot f coasters are colored the way they are, usualy to do with the theaming but dose blue in any way at all remind you of egypt?