Kennywood Announces New Launch Coaster for 2010

Roller Coaster News

Kennywood Adds New Launch Roller Coaster for 2010Kennywood Announces 2010 Launch Coaster
This one came out of nowhere. Today, Kennywood (located near Pittsburgh, PA) announced their 2010 roller coaster. The yet-to-be named ride will be a steel launch coaster with a 0 to 50 mph launch in less than three seconds launch and three loops. Here’s a description of the new ride from the park’s official press release:

Kennywood’s new launch coaster will feature many exciting and unique features including three inversions and a 0-50mph launch in three seconds! After the high-speed launch, riders will experience a vertical ascent to 95ft before a brief cliffhanger pause at the top and a 90-degree drop into a maximum G-force pullout. The riders then enjoy extended airtime as the train races into an inverted
top hat element, passes into a barrel roll and goes vertical again through a twist up leading to another pause.

Riders experience a second vertical free fall followed by another maximum G-force pullout on the way into a highly banked fan curve. After a traditional corkscrew, a curve to a zero gravity hill, and a series of wave turns, riders finally return to the station. –Kennywood Amusement Park Press Release

My Take on Kennywood’s 2010 Coaster
I’m excited to hear that Kennywood is going to add a new roller coaster. Their last new coaster was the spinning indoor coaster, Exterminator in 1999. Kennywood is definitely back on my radar for parks to visit next year. It’s a park that could definitely use some loops as it’s been loopless since Steel Phantom was transformed into Phantom’s Revenge in 2001.  The loops were removed and replaced with little bunny hills making the ride more in line with a traditional hyper coaster.

Kennywood has posted a promotional videothat includes some POV footage. The new coaster was designed by launch coaster pioneers Premier Rides. They’re responsible for coasters like Flight of Fear, the Italian Job Stunt Coasters, Batman and Robin: The Chiller, NASCAR Cafe’s Speed, and the insanely popular Revenge of the Mummy coasters. With that kind of track record, the new ride should be strong.

What do you think of Kennywood’s new roller coaster? Any suggestions for the ride’s name? Leave a comment below.

1. For the park, that'll be a nice addition. In the coaster world…are they seriously bragging about 0-50 is 3 seconds? This ride is really nothing to write home about in terms of height and speed, so the layout better be original.

2. I hate to say it but the layout isnt going to be original. If you look at the video, its a copy of Wicked at The Lagoon.

3. I doubt it's 'a copy' considering Wicked has a different designer, Zierer, two loops instead of three, and two launches. But, after watching this pov video of Wicked, the new Kennywood coaster may be somewhat similar. The launch and 90-degree drop is getting to be pretty common these days. Still cool though.

Now, the only questions is: Where's Judy in Pgh? I know she's going to want to chime on this news.

4. Sorry about the false information. Upon a closer look at kennywood connection the coaster has the same basic first half as Wicked, but after the mcbr the ride changes. P.S. i live in Pgh too and its nice that my home town park is finally getting another coaster.

• ilive in pgh to but i live across the street from kennywood and i go there all the time and i just love the skyrocket

5. Hello from Pittsburgh, where even the locals were surprised by this announcement. I was at Kennywood 2 weeks ago and not one single clue in advance about anything new for next year, let alone a coaster! It sounds like they are not having a naming contest, but if they did, a friend suggested "Pittfire." The ride will be located at the front of the park along the highway (same as the current "Turnpike" ride), so it should be highly visible from outside of the park. I'll work on getting pictures for you once they get started.

Nice to see you missed me. I've been riding my brains out this summer (got both Cedar Fair AND 6 Flags season passes!)I just spent most of last week at Dorney Park along with kayaking about an hour north of the park. Having a great summer and hate to go back to school in 2 weeks!

6. I have no idea what the name of the ride could be. But i LOVE launch coasters with inversions. The way they describe this ride, its going to be thrilling the whole ride!

7. I would like to suggest "SKY BLAST" as the name for the coaster. How do I convince Kennywood to put this in the pool of names they are coming up with for it?

8. Okay, Ive just seen the promotionnal video, and noticed that the pov animation was made with No Limits Coaster Simulator, and let me tell you, this is one of the most newbie NL animations I've ever seen.

It is in fact dreadful, and I don't understand how they could dump such a low-quality No Limits coaster in such an important and professional ad! How can they get away with this?

The person who made this simply doesn't have any experience: he didn't use continuous roll, the curves were ten times too sharp for anyone to survive the lats and Gs and the heartline of the track is so busted the riders would be sent flying around in their seats and breaking their ribs on the side of their cars, while being ejected because the harnesses would fail to sustain the whole thing. They really should have called for an experienced person. I just can't get over it.

9. Yep.

And don't you love the random Vekoma Boomarang they through in there? Don't forget Mr. Freeze either. 😉

The ride looks like enough fun, though.

P.S. Note they said "stratospheric" in the promo, even though Phantom is taller. I think I can guess a few names…

10. We think that the new coaster should be named The Swivel Shaft.

11. hey from pittsburgh,pa and i think that the new coaster name should be………THE DART because how it goes from 0 to 50 mph in 2 seconds and so does a dart or anything that can be flew os something.!

12. http://www.pittsburghfoodbank.org/Details.aspx?Re

JUST FOUND OUT!! They are auctioning off the first 200 seats (i.e. the first ride). A minimum of $50 bid and you could get a ride all day park pass, gift bag, and a seat on Kennywood's newest coaster. (seats are picked by riders highest bid to the lowest). The money raised in the auction will be donated to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank!! They only have 5 bids so far-meaning, for $50 you have a great shot at getting a seat!!

13. i was just at Kennywood 2 days ago for the first time and rode the new coaster called Sky Rocket. Its a fun little coaster, little because its less than 100 feet tall and there are NO LOOPS!!!! The trains did corkscrews and did a sort of turn/loop but no loops in the traditional sense. The ride was very comfortable and VERY smooth too. It is a fun coaster but having been on Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster with those insane heights and launch speeds, Sky Rocket is a bit tame, but it is perfect for Kennywood and is still a good ride.

14. the skyrocket is really fun it is better than i thought

15. I live in Pittsburgh as well, I am going to Kennywood this upcoming Friday. I have never been on the Sky Rockett and I'm looking forward to going on it this year. It looks like a fun little ride!!! 🙂 Never been on…anyone want to tell me what it's like? I love the fact that it has corkskrews LOL XD