Sky Rocket Construction Photos & Kennywood in the Snow

Roller Coaster News

Longtime reader Judy sent in these great shots of Kennywood. There are a number of cool images of the Pittsburgh area park after a recent snow storm. She also sent a few images that show the construction site for the park’s 2010 roller coaster, Sky Rocket. Although, it doesn’t appear like too much actual construction has taken place. They were taken on 2/27.

Sky Rocket Construction
As you can see from the constructions photos, nothing’s gone vertical yet. The blue track and silver (or grey?) supports are in a parking lot across the street from Kennywood. Judy described the construction area as “a mud pit sprinkled with ice chunks” thanks to all of the snow that the park has received this winter. Sky Rocket looks far from completion while roller coasters like Intimidator at Carowinds are performing test runs. Does anyone know the ride’s expected opening date?

More on Kennywood’s new Sky Rocket launch coaster on the official site. Also, read my Sky Rocket announcement post for more details on the coaster. Thanks to Judy for sending these pictures. If anyone has any theme park images they would like to share feel free to send them in and I might use them for a post.

What do you think of these construction photos of Sky Rocket and Kennywood in the snow? Anyone excited for this new launch coaster? Leave a comment below.

1. Considering there is still 2 ft. of snow on my back deck, it may be a while before they start to assemble this baby!

• I can`t wait for summer to start and for theme parks to open. and all this sno to be gone! 🙂

• well, im goin to a park next wekend! it feels good to be here in SUNNY FLORIDA, 70-85 degrees daily

2. Seriously. I've never seen so much snow in one Winter. It's insane!

3. Snow is evil. It's cold. It makes us slip. It can give us hypothermia. And worst of all, AMUSEMENT PARKS CAN'T BE OPEN IN THE COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I wouldn`t say evil, have youy ever paticipated in a 100-man snowball fight? awsome.

• I am a hot weather person. I can't stand the cold. I was born on the hottest day of the summer at the hottest time that day! The cold will kill us all, or haven't you sen the day after tomorrow? (Curse you, Al Gore!)

• lololololololololol!!!!! good one Prof.

• I don't think I mentioned this in the Busch Gardens Williamsburg Roller Coaster Tour posts, but I learned that there actually is a minimum temperature that roller coasters can run at. It might've been in the 50's or so. But, don't quote me.

• HersheyPark's coasters were open for Halloween weekend, but not for Thanksgiving weekend.

4. i dont think it will be finished when the park opens

• maybe not, maybe so.

• I would guess no.

5. Temperatures are now in the 60's in PA and Pittsburgh has rain on the way for this weekend. It sounds like the plot Sky Rocket is being built upon may become a giant mudhole in the not-so-distant future!

• i hope they know how to clean their coasters!

6. our fifth grade will be going to kennywood on the 25th and i hope i will get to ride the skyrocket! i cant wait!

7. hew big do you helft to be for the skyrocket