Featured Photo #2 – Timber!

Featured Photos

Timber Tower at DollywoodWhen I visited Dollywood in 2006, I finally rode the popular GCI woodie Thunderhead. That year, Timber Tower opened near the ride. It’s an 18 meter tall (about 60 feet) topple tower from Huss. The 40-person ride rotates slowly as it rocks back and forth. Dollywood added fountains to enhance the experience. Unfortunately, my wife and I skipped Timber Tower, but I wish we would’ve ridden it. It looks like fun and as you can see it’s pretty photogenic.

What do you think about Timber Tower or any of Huss’ topple towers? What do you think of the photo? Leave a comment below.

Photos, content, and the most insightful, entertaining, or amusing reader comments from my Photo of the Week posts will be included my new book. Read more about my book project. All images are the property of TheCoasterCritic.com

1. I visited Dollywood that same year and got to ride Timber Tower twice. The first thing that comes to mind is the squeals of delight from both the riders and the onlookers. The ride itself was pleasantly enjoyable and a nice diversion for the non-addicted coaster enthusiasts in our group. It's a great place to photograph facial reactions, especially of those people whose feet are dipping a bit too close to the fountains!

Back then, around dinner time, you could purchase an admission ticket for the following day and be permitted to stay in the park and ride until park closing. Does anyone know if you can still do that? I found evening to be an excellent time to bag repeat rides on Thunderhead, rather than battling the crowds when the park opened in the morning. I'm wondering if I could use the same strategy to avoid waiting in long lines for Mystery Mine when I go back again.

• they always have a special it depends on the month.

call them

2. I went in the summer before mystery mine, and we got stuck on this for like 5 min. Was only in the begining, but still

3. Definately a great looking ride, like most in Dollywood, but nothing very thrilling. Overall it's better as a spectator attraction or something to go on when you need a break from more intense rides. At least I only had to wait one ride cycle.

4. I went on one of these at Marineland, and while it's an interesting ride, it isn't thrilling in the slightest. Those fountains might improve the experience though, and it's worth a ride if you have nothing else to do. If they sped the rotation up, it could be a great flat.

5. I only wish we could see their faces more clearly.

6. Rides like that are better without the water. One ride at my home park is a Huss Top Spin called Riptide. I rode an alternate version without water last summer at SF Great America. I prefered the one at SFGAm.

• How dose the water make a difference?

• Here in Minnesnowta, that's all i need to say

7. This looks like an… interesting flat. Doesn't look that thrilling. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to spin fast, and I'm not that much of a fan for flats that spin anyway.

If I ever go to Dollywood, I might try this out, if I don't have to wait that long for it.

8. I doubt I would ride this but very cool pic. Most flats, to me, are too stressful. I don't know if I just don't trust them for whatever reason or if I'm just not into the spinning thing, but I always feel like I'm forcing myself to have fun on a lot of flats. I love watching them run though so I totally dig this pic.

9. I'll try any new flat ride at least once. Sometimes they can be fun, although too much spinning will make me queasy. I guess I'm a true coaster addict. But I applaud parks that install lots of flat rides… Keeps the coaster lines shorter! LOL!

10. Timber Tower is a great ride for [ most of] the entire family. I have been to Dollywood several times when this ride is not running. Timber Tower is a lot of fun to ride, and it can get you soaked. You might come off the ride soaking wet, or completely dry, and that makes for a very fun ride.

Dr. Michael E. Schmidt

11. Currently SBNO due to problems between park and Huss

12. Timber Tower isn't all that thrilling, it's a great family ride. I rode it once back in 08 when it was operating. Unfortunately, Dollywood closed this ride for the 2011 season.

13. This wasnt here in 2013 🙁