Coney Island Gets Two New Roller Coasters and a Boost in Thrills

Roller Coaster News

Steeplechase Ride - Coney IslandScream Zone to Bring Two Thrill Rides to Coney Island
Last year Italian coaster design company Zamperla opened Luna Park at Coney Island. It seems like a no-brainer that a new amusement park would do well at Coney, but with Astroland closing down a few years ago maybe the right company had to move in start over. This Spring the park will expand with two compact roller coasters in a new area called Scream Zone.

Scream Zone will have a relocated Zamperla flying coaster (dubbed Soaring Eagle) that was formerly at Elitch Gardens in Denver. And the park’s new main attraction might be the completely new family launch roller coaster Steeplechase Horses Coaster. Steeplechase should be similar to Pony Express at Knott’s Berry Farm (pictured below). As fans have pointed out, the ride seems inspired by the Steeplechase rides from Coney’s hey days. That ride had individual horses that raced against each other.

Coney Island's New Steeplechase Horses Coaster Could be like Pony Express

Coney Island could desperately use some new roller coasters. This news almost makes me wish that I would have waited to take my coaster trip to New York. After riding the legendary Cyclone, I did a little sight seeing and I was on my way to Rye Playland. Coney definitely has more to offer coaster fans now. Especially if you’ve been waiting to check the Cyclone off of your most wanted coasters list.

It’s kind of funny to me how some are complaining about these ride’s (lack of) intensity. The vast majority of guests to this new area will have probably never ridden a flying coaster or even a launch coaster. Heck, many may have not even seen these types of coasters before. I think that they’re two solid attractions for a small urban park with a lack of space that’s basically in revival mode. If you want something more intense Kingda Ka’s only about 2 hours away.

Zamperla posted this video of their Volare flying coaster on YouTube:

Luna Park’s Facebook page has updates and construction photos.

What do you think about Steeplechase Horses Coaster and Eagle roller coasters coming to Luna Park’s Scream Zone? Leave a comment below. Image credits: Westland.Net & Flickr user – Magic Madzik

1. Honestly the Soaring Eagle would be better as scrap metal (ouch), but I think the moto coaster has potential. They just need to make it longer and more interesting than Knott's attempt, by the time it got any good it was over.

2. I've never seen a restraint system like that on a Flying coaster.

• Quil, I actually have seen a car with restraints like that, but I didn't know there was a mechanism that could allow cars to go up a spiral kind of hill.

• I saw the lift mechanism on RCT3, Although i didn't quite believe it when I first saw it.

3. That Volaire looks like something out of a wet dream (ouch). It'll be interesting to see how well it will perform at it's new park! 🙂

4. Jeez I'm usually the cynical one on here… y'all drink your haterade this mornin? 🙂

I kinda like the looks of that Volare. I've never seen anything like it before and I think its intriguing how the ride operates… especially the lift hill. Sure it doesn't look intense, but I think it could be a fun time. Conversely, I've always assumed steeplechase style coasters to be snoozers. Granted, I've never ridden either one of these style coasters before, so what do I know?

5. Too bad they can't bring back the their classic woodies. I'm lucky enough to have ridden the Thunderbolt and the Tornado as well as their Flying Bobs coasters back in Coney Island's heyday. The Thuderbolt was SBNO for years. I wish it had remained in place for current restoration and renovation.

The new additions will be welcomed, but a woddie would put them seriously back on the map as a destination. Zamperla should give GCI a call, ASAP

6. Er. that's "woodie".

• And that's also plural. You're original comment was right.

7. Has that coaster already been deconstructed or is it still standing because i will be visiting denver in 2 weeks

8. There is the Firehawk here in Ohio at Kings Island

9. Enjoyed the blog post!

10. This looks good for Coney Island. I didnt want to go to coney island because of their lack of coasters. Yeah they have Cyclone, but I don't understand why people make a big deal over this old coaster. Now that they have these, Coney might be in the future for me. But still, these coasters arent big. Coney Island has no huge great coasters that are a must ride. Again cyclone is old and bumpy ive heard. They need a hyper coaster or something big.

• Coney Island is a little short on space from what I've heard, but a hypercoaster in my area would be nice.

11. Both new coasters at Luna Park, if they can be called coaster are barely worth mention. When Zamperla combined thrill ride with coaster (and showed everyone graphic images of what was coming) it's disappointing what came. I had something very different in mind. The Soaring eagle is new to coney but is nothing new or special. The steeplechase horse race ride starts off with a bang then dies as quick as it starts. Do the right thing and bring back the Thunderbolt or similar. Re-open the Parachute. That would be in keeping with the old parks that once lived at Coney. Those parks were grand, mesmerizing, awe inspiring sensory experiences. Today's Luna Park is alright but something is missing. The Cyclone is still the best thrill ride although its showing its age – or I am…the corners are slow (except for the last two-maybe) unless all the cars are full…those were the days when they really built them, however.