2011 Theme Park Trips – Where Are You Headed?

Coaster Critic Updates Theme Park Tips Trip Reports

Steel Eel at SeaWorld San AntonioFlorida vs. Texas
I had been looking to go back to Florida for my most anticipated roller coaster of 2011, Cheetah Hunt. But, while the trip would have had some high quality rides like my all-time favorite Kumba, Rip Ride Rockit, the Wizarding World, and re-rides on great coasters like Mummy, Montu, etc., the number of new rides would have been very low. Meanwhile, Texas will be packed with rides that I’ve never been on. And of course the main attraction will be Texas Giant, my #2 most anticipated coaster of 2011.

So, this year I’m going to finally conquer the Lone Star State by visiting Six Flags Over TexasSeaWorld San Antonio, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I’ve been itching to make it down there for years.

I’m also hoping to make it down to Six Flags Over Georgia for Dare Devil Dive. With Atlanta only about 4 hours away it’d be an easy trip for me and I haven’t been on a roller coaster with a drop steeper than 90-degrees yet.

Where Are You Headed in 2011?
With theme park travel about to be in full swing I figured it’d be cool to discuss where everyone’s planning on going this year. And, if you need any advice on choosing which parks to visit I’ll try to help. I invite everyone else to chime in with their take too.

Are you sticking with your local park or headed on to a new park far from home? Are there any big roller coasters that you’re looking forward to or milestones in your coaster count? Leave a comment below and take the poll below.
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment. [Image credit – Flickr User me and the sysop]

1. Hey Brian I'm also going up to Hershey on Easter. The rest of my year will include a trip to six flags great adventure, Moreys Pier, probably a Dorney trip and a Knoebels trip. Also, I will hopefully get down to Orlando and get some new parks in.

2. First significant trip will be to head down I-4 to Tampa for the opening of Cheetah Hunt. In July, gonna be hitting up Six Flags America, Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and Six Flags Great Adventure, all which will be new trips. Sometime later in the year before the season ends I want to hit up Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds.

Oh, and of course I'll continue to hit up Seaworld Orlando and Universal Orlando regularly.

3. I'm just going to my home park, California's Great America once or twice every week since it's the only thing to do in the Santa Clara Valley. I think it's fun and I would reccomend people to go there. Because Great America is in real bad shape, I'll type this:

SAVE GREAT AMERICA by going there if you're going to San Francisco.

I know it's a weak "advertisement", but I'm just trying to make a point.

4. Well I am pretty young (12) so I can't really plan trips for myself. The only time I get to go to parks is usually at me and my little brother's birthday and since we live in Florida we are restricted to Florida Parks. But we have a good coaster lineup this year. We have four parks lined up. My brother's birthday was in middle of June. So we got to hit both Universal Parks which we went to 3 years ago. For my birthday in early October I am hoping to get Busch Gardens (home to my favorite coaster Kumba and new Cheetah Hunt ride) and Seaworld which I have never been to.

5. 2011 Pass to Kings Dominion [new home park]

New parks; BGW done over Easter. Doing PA and New England loop early this fall… Hershey, Knobles, maybe Dorney, Compounce, SFNE, maybe [SFGA old home park]

2112 big late spring loop… from DC… Kennywood, CP, Kings Landing, Holiday World, Dollywood, Carowinds, Kings dominion.

I just hope I can manage the whole loop.

6. Currently on my three park trip to Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and Six Flags Great Adventure. Finally getting a decent dose of Intamin (being from Florida). These coasters are awesome so far! Top 3 so far are Farenheit, Hydra, and Possessed.