Featured Photo #25 – The Hardest Working Mascot

Featured Photos

Boom the Troll - Freestyle Music Park

If this image startled you, I apologize. That’s Boom the Troll from Myrtle Beach’s defunct Freestyle Music Park. He wasn’t a well-known mascot, but he was one of the most active I’ve ever seen. His job didn’t end after strolling around the park and posing for photos. Boom tweeted, made YouTube appearances around town, and he even had his own website. In the end, Boom couldn’t drum up enough business to save the park, but you have to respect the big hairy guy’s work ethic. Him and his fairy escorts gave it one heck of an effort.

Mascots are an integral part of most theme parks taking a variety of forms including: cuddly children’s favorites like Elmo and Mickey Mouse, heroic comic book characters like Spider-Man and Batman, and freakish ghouls and zombies. I don’t have a favorite, but my daughter’s been thrilled by encounters with Dora and now the Peanuts characters at my local park. I’d probably be just as thrilled if realistic mascots are going to accompany Universal Studios’ new Transformers dark ride.

What do you think of theme park mascots? Do you have any good stories about interacting with them? Leave a comment below.

Photos, content, and the most insightful, entertaining, or amusing reader comments from my Photo of the Week posts will be included my new book. Read more about my book project. All images are the property of TheCoasterCritic.com

1. I think It's cool that someone was so devoted to the job of being a park mascot. Too bad the park didn't last all that long.

2. The break room for kenny the kangaroo and kennywood is right over the skycoaster, so whenever you suit up for a ride, you will almost always see him walking down. I always get a kick out of that.

3. It's so sad to see a great park turn into a ghost town. At least they had devoted mascots.

4. It'll reopen in a year or two. I just hope they'll leave that can of creepy out of the lineup.

5. Mr. Six is awesomne! But i don't see him that much anymore, especially on commercials. The superheroes are great too. Six Flags parks have the best mascots!

6. I was never a huge fan of mascots even as kid, but I do admit it adds to the park atmosphere and it kinda goes hand in hand with quality.You do after all only come across these characters at bigger and/or more reputable parks.

7. This picture kind of startled me when I first saw it but after looking at him for a while he seems like a nice troll.

8. Great post! Love hearing about the best mascots. Some people hate them, but I always enjoy what they bring to the game. Pretty athletic what they do out there too! I found a fun ranking of all the mascots of the NBA and decided to search for more on them. That’s how I found yours.

Thanks for the post! Loved it. Here’s the ranking I stumbled upon if you’re interested: http://www.tchuddle.com/2011/03/happy-birthday-cr

9. I suspect the reason I never wanted to go to the Disney parks when I was a kid was that the whole idea of interacting with these mascots freaked me out a little.

(Of course, especially these days, it’s not as if they’re in your face: even when you’re at Disney’s parks, encounters with the Disney characters are carefully husbanded and sought-after. I think I misunderstood the system. But the TV advertising always featured them prominently.)

My daughter has no such inhibitions, and one of the highlights of our visit to WDW was eating at the Crystal Palace and having her get autographs and hugs from all the Winnie-the-Pooh characters.