Insane Coaster Wars Coming to the Travel Channel

(You)Reports Coaster Critic Updates Theme Park News

Insane Coaster Wars to Debut this Summer on the Travel Channel

Hydra's Jojo Roll - Dorney ParkSummer is almost here, so we can expect to see more theme parks on cable TV again. This year, the Travel Channel is debuting Insane Coaster Wars. The show will pit the country’s best roller coasters against each other in 6 different categories. Insane Coaster Wars will add an interactive twist as fans can visit their site and vote for their favorite starting Monday, May 7th.

Here’s more from the Travel Channel:

From May 7 – June 1, log on to www.TravelChannel.com to cast your
vote. Tune in to Travel Channel beginning July 8 and watch as coaster experts argue the pros, cons, advantages and weaknesses of each ride, and see which coaster won the most votes for the best in its class.

Categories and coasters include:

“G-Force Giants” – Medusa (Six Flags – Vallejo, CA), SheiKra
(Busch Gardens – Tampa, FL), Afterburn (Carowinds – Fort Mill,
SC/Charlotte, NC) and Apollo’s Chariot (Busch Gardens –
Williamsburg, VA). Vote online May 7 – 18. Episode premieres July

“Hang ‘em High” – Manta (Sea World – Orlando, FL), Montu
(Busch Gardens – Tampa, FL) and Alpengeist (Busch Gardens –
Williamsburg, VA). Fourth coaster TBD. Vote online May 7 – 18.
Episode premieres July 8.

“Splintering Speedsters” – Thunderhead (Dollywood – Pigeon
Forge, TN) and El Toro (Six Flags – Jackson, NJ). Remaining coasters
TBD. Vote online May 14 – May 25. Episode premieres July 15.

“Wrong Way Up” – Kraken (Sea World – Orlando, FL), Wild Eagle
(Dollywood – Pigeon Forge, TN) and Hydra the Revenge (Dorney Park
– Allentown, PA). Fourth coaster TBD. Vote online May 14 – May 25.
Episode premieres July 22.

“Extreme Heights” – Intimidator (Carowinds – Fort Mill,
SC/Charlotte, NC) and Kingda Ka (Six Flags – Jackson, NJ). Remaining
coasters TBD. Vote online May 21 – June 1. Episode premieres July
29.

“Speed” – Xcelerator (Knott’s Berry Farm – Buena Vista, CA),
Bizarro (Six Flags – Agawam, MA) and Desperado (Buffalo Bill’s
Resort and Casino – Primm, NV). Fourth coaster TBD. Vote online May
21 – June 1. Episode premieres August 5.

I participated in the filming at Carowinds for Afterburn. So I may make an appearance in the “G-Force Giants” episode. I didn’t really have a good idea of what the show was about at the time so I didn’t know when I was chiming in that I was comparing Afterburn to the other coasters in its category. Mostly I just spoke on g-forces, the sensations that they produce, and what I thought about Afterburn. We’ll see how it turns out in a few months.

Until then, we can start voting on Monday (May 7th) at Travel Channel’s Insane Coaster Wars.

Here’s a preview video of Insane Coaster Wars on the Travel Channel:

How do you think Insane Coaster Wars sounds? Are you planning on watching it? Leave a comment below. This story was submitted as a (You)Report. Got some news you’d like me to cover on the site? Submit a (You)Report. Image courtesy of CoasterImage.

1. Watching!

2. Um, if my eyes didn't deceive me, I saw Intimidator and Kingda Ka together as the only contestants in the "height" category. No offense, but IMO, this is a pretty dumb comparison, because they are two completely different types of roller coasters. What would they compare them on, other than height. Because if it is only height, then of course KK would win, and the two coasters have almost nothing in common other than being tall.

• I'm not sure how they came up with the categories, but you're right it can't be as simple as which is taller in the height category. That's not really something you can vote on.

3. I think this will not serve as a Roller Coaster enthusiast show, but merely a showcase for what the US has to offer and put it in some excuse of a show, so that it does not get boring for the "normal" travel channel viewer. But anyways, if I can get the shows here in Europe in some way… I will certainly look at them. But as said before there'll be a lot of inconsistencies for us RC-geeks.

• You may be right. They interviewed roller coaster enthusiasts like myself at the parks, but I'm not sure how they came up with the concept of the show. And I didn't know when I was talking to them that I was comparing Afterburn with others in its category. It seems a bit random, but if they just want to create a buzz and get fans voting for their favorite then the'll probably succeed in doing that.

I share your sentiment, but hopefully the inconsistencies are few what with this powerful tool of knowledge known as the Internet these days.

4. I participated in the filming session on Hydra. It was fun, and we got somewhere from 7-9 rides in a row. I will also agree that the categories do seem a bit strange. For example, Apollo and Intimidator are about the same type of ride yet apollo is in g force giants and intimidator is in extreme heights category.

• That's cool Matt. Let us know if you make it in on the show. I'll probably be writing about the episodes when they air.

I've been wanting to get back to Dorney for Hydra for years. Is the jojo roll as cool as it looks?

• The jojo roll is very cool. Since you come out of the station and do it right away, with little speed, it is definitely more intense than other inversions. You feel like you are going to fall out of your seat and hit the ground below. It is definitely a cool experience.

• The Jojo roll is quite awesome since it's taken at such a low speed. Hangtime would be a good description of it. Plus there's a camera that takes your picture in the middle of it while you're upside down (there's also a second traditional camera right before the cobra roll). The wife and I took advantage of that and posed for an awesome picture that we used for our "roller coaster"-themed wedding!

5. pretty cool show, looking forward to it!

6. Coaster Critic, if you come out to Dorney, I'm always looking for ride buddies (none of my friends are quite as enthusiastic as me). I have grown up with Dorney being 15 minutes away or less for my whole life, so I'm always up for a trip over there! I wouldn't make the trip for Hydra though…Bizarro at Great Adventure is everything Hydra SHOULD be (though the jojo roll is cool because the gates open and suddenly there is an inversion where a lift hill should be).