POLL – What Should Cedar Point’s 2013 Roller Coaster Be?

Editorials and Rants

Gatekeeper – Cedar Point’s 2013 Roller Coaster

UPDATE 8/13 – Cedar Point is scheduled to announce their new roller coaster today. See images and read about Cedar Point’s 2013 wing coaster Gatekeeper.

[divider]
UPDATE 5/30 – News of Cedar Point’s planned wing roller coaster broke today. The ride will cost $25 million and it’ll be the largest of it’s kind.

Read more here: Cedar Point to Build a Wing Roller Coaster in 2013
[divider]
Maverick at Cedar PointIt’s rumor time again. The Coaster Capital (that’s technically no longer the capital), is not only opening without a new coaster for 2012, but it’s also removing one before opening. Last week, the park announced WildCat’s swift closure and demolition. The park explained that the ride was being removed to make way for the expansion of the Celebration Plaza area.

Of course, this kind of move is going to stir up the roller coaster rumor mill. But what do you build in a theme park that has everything? With 16 roller coasters they’ve got many of the major ride types covered. They’ve got woodies, an inverted coaster, a suspended coaster, three launch coasters, two kiddie coasters, a twin racing coaster, a mine train coaster, a bobsled coaster, a stand-up coaster, a hyper coaster, a giga coaster, a shuttle coaster, and an old-school looper.

The latest rumor from Screamscape references green B&M track that’s been spotted at the Ohio plant. The popular thinking is that Cedar Point could be looking to add a Wing Coaster like Wild Eagle and X-Flight. I’d be fine with that, but I’d really rather seem them give Mean Streak the Rocky Mountain topper track before they build anything new. In my opinion, woodies are a big hole in Cedar Point’s vast lineup.

See a complete list of Cedar Point’s roller coasters.

What’s your take? Which type of roller coaster would like to see at the Point? Vote in the poll and leave a comment below.Image used with permission via CoasterImage.com. Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

1. I go wild for launching coasters and thrilling first drop coasters. I'm not too big a fan of woodies nor coasters with inversions, they just dont do anything for me. Except for Maverick, my #1 of all time! Anything Cedar Point hasnt done before would satisfy me really. A 4 dimensional, wing coaster, a flying coster etc. Cedar Point is usually the only the only park I travel to so I would love if Cedar Point would add one of these so I'm not tempted to fly out to SFMM next year to try something new! Though my loyalty is forever with the Point!

2. When it comes to steel coasters, Cedar Point pretty much has everywhere covered except for a flyer or a 4th dimension. With that said, it really is lacking in the wooden department. While Blue Streak proved to be a pleasant surprise, Mean Streak was horrible, El Toro is by far the best wooden coaster I've been on, and the Point could really use an Intamin Pre-Fab. Maybe they could even make it a record breaker and market it as the tallest wooden coaster in the world since Son of Beast seems likely to be removed. If any manufacturer could pull off a 200ft woodie I'd put my money on Intamin. El Toro is insanely smooth for a wooden coaster, and in its 7th year of operation its holding up very well.

3. I'm thinking a flying coaster. They still don't have one, and they're very fun.

4. As a thrill seeker, I need something fast. Height would be good, but i think speed is the most thrilling. So to satisfy both parties, how about a renovation or totally new wood coaster where Mean Streak is, then tear down disaster transport, the carnival games in that area, and extend the park into the present day parking lot. This could make room for a new fast launch coaster, or a winged coaster. Also, this coaster would have to look really cool so it could give park visitors a good first thing to see as they walk in the park. Perhaps a cool new color, maybe a neon purple, or a sharp orange.

• The parking lot is out of the question. During extremely busy days and Halloweekends, it is not uncommon for the lot to be completely full and customers need to park beyond the toll gates on the grassy area by the Causeway. CP won't be sacrificing parking anytime soon.

5. While it'll likely be a Wing Rider, all but the 500ft tall coaster and the water coaster sound fantastic, Mean Streak could use the 'Iron Horse' treatment from all of the reviews that I've read about the ride, the 4th Dimension coaster would be pretty big news and the GCI woodie would also be a fantastic choice. While I'd like to see another ACTUAL 4D coaster in the US, any of the choices aside from the two that i don't like would be a great addition to Cedar Point's lineup.

6. I think Cedar Point's next roller coaster should be this red flying roller coaster that's been rumored to come. I would right that coaster no matter how long I'd have to wait for it 🙂

7. Well, I guess I'll leave one more comment just because I can 😉

As for the future when it comes to wooden rides, I think the wooden coaster that should go at Cedar Point would be Mean Streak. Yes, I enjoy Mean Streak, but in all honesty, Mean Streak has become kind of a bore. Despite the ride being tall and all, I don't get much of a thrill from the ride. Unfortunately, age has made the ride slower and not too much of a challenge. The usually small line is an indication of that as well with other riders.

If Cedar Point can think of a new and more exciting wooden roller coaster, then definitely, a new one should go where Mean Streak is.

Blue Streak, on the other hand, should never EVER go. Why? Because 1: it's the oldest operating coaster at the park, 2: despite how small it is, you can still get a thrill off of that old little thing, and 3: that's what kept the park going in 1964. Our precious Cedar Point could have disappeared without that attraction in 1964 (at least according to what I've read and how I've interpreted it). Blue Streak should always stay and keep on being maintained for as long as possible in my opinion.

8. 4th dimensions seem to have been replaced by the winged flyers. X2 is amazing when it's smooth, but it seriously rage dolls you some times. I haven't been to Asia to ride the new one, but I understand why a park doesn't want to take a chance on one. X put Arrow Dynamics out of business.

A flyer would be terrific if they put it where Iron Dragon is. They could use the lagoons. Hell they could even keep the name and give it a Dragon theme.

I'd still prefer a prefab woodie. Cedar Point is the kid who has all of the toys. Along the beach would be great. I rode Mean Streak during a trip home to Ohio earlier this summer and it was much smoother than it has been in years.

9. They should just redo the top part of TTD to make it 500 feet tall.

10. It is a Wing Coaster called Gatekeeper