KI's New Coaster: Blueprints, a Comb, & White Hair

Roller Coaster News

Banshee - Kings Island - 2014 Coaster UpdateUPDATE 8/8/13 – Kings Island has announced Banshee for 2014. It will debut as the longest inverted roller coaster in the World with seven loops & 4,100+ feet of track. Read and watch a video here: Banshee Roller Coaster Coming to Kings Island in 2014 [divider_line]This is always a fun time of the year as parks begin dropping hints for what they’ll be building for next year. The speculation and excitement was ratcheted way up this week with a few new facets to the Kings Island’s 2014 roller coaster project.

A Comb and White Hair

Kings Island - 2014 Roller Coaster Hint - Banshee CombKings Island sent out a media kit with a comb and synthetic white or gray hair. This gives credence to the rumored Banshee name and theme for the new roller coaster. It’d be great if Kings Island continues this theming thread and really gives the coaster some unique aspects tied to a banshee like some on-board audio or a heavily-themed, story-based station.

Kings Island to Make Official Announcement on Thursday, August 8th

All of the speculation will be ending soon as Kings Island is set to make an official announcement on Thursday, August 8th at 10 PM. Announcements are usually made at 10 AM. The fact that the park opted for the late hour is likely tied to the dark, sinister nature of the ride’s theme. Maybe the Banshee herself will make an appearance.

Supposed Roller Coaster Blueprints Leaked

Theme parks have been known to “leak” false information and clues in the past, but a video posted by someone who does not appear to be working for the park supposedly show the plans for Kings Island’s 2014 roller coaster. They certainly look legit, but we won’t know for sure until next week. Check out this video of Kings Island’s 2014 Coaster Blueprints:

I’m curious why the park hasn’t asked the video creator to take down the video. I could see Kings Island possibly having an employee post a “leaked” video like this. That could be what happened here. Either way, it’s cool to see what look like plans for the ride.

Will Banshee be a World Record-Breaking Inverted Roller Coaster?

I wasn’t on the inverted coaster bandwagon, but I may be hopping on now. Based on Lance (Screamscape) connecting the “IC2-J” on the blueprints matching the blue coaster supports found at the B&M manufacturing plant, we may in fact see an inverted coaster instead of a wing or giga coaster. There have also been others that have analyzed the footers and determined that this could be an inverted coaster.

There hasn’t been a new inverted coaster in the U.S. in years. It seems like amusement parks like to follow the latest trends, but if Kings Island aims to make this new ride a truly “world record-breaking” coaster as invites given to guests have stated, then maybe that’ll be enough for them. If it’s a massive inverted terrain coaster like my Top 10-worthy Alpengeist, then I’m all for it. I just didn’t think it was likely.

What do you think of these recent developments? Are you convinced the ride will be an inverted coaster? What do you think of the blueprint video? Leave a comment below.
Image courtesy of Dayton Daily News

1. I think it don’t matter what type of coaster it is, I am just glad to see the park getting new rides. I remember as a kid the park wasn’t the place to go and now I am glad to see its making a come back, and making it great place to visit.. Can’t wait to see on the 8th what they are getting and can’t wait for my next visit to ride it…

2. I definitely agree with you that the park isn’t what it should be it has always been known for having record breaking unique rides that have pushed the limits and I feel like the park has really gone downhill since CedarFair bought the park as happened in a more extreme case with Knott’s but in the past 2-3 CedarFair has tried to rejuvenate The parks that have fallen behind and I’m glad to see Kings Island get an upgrade as it is one of my favorite parks in the U.S.A

3. I’d be cool with a record breaking invert. I don’t think B&M has entirely pushed the envelope to what an inverted coaster is capable of. I’d like to see something extreme like a record breaking batwing element, or a zero-g roll bigger than Patriot’s. The engineer in me also daydreams about a few other never done before elements that I’d love to see on an invert. Let’s just say that I’m intrigued…

4. It’s going to be like raptor and alpengeist 🙂 plus the record breaking will be one epic coaster.

5. Okay, according to the blueprints, the layout would have the following:
    Dive Loop
    Loop
    0G Roll
    Batwing (or dive loop followed by immelmann)
    Loop
    Immelmann
    0g roll
    Helix

If the blueprints are true, then this would be the most looping invert.

• Wow, that’s a pretty nice find! Could you point out the place in the video where the layout is shown (for those that aren’t as good as reading blueprints)?

That seems like a typical B&M succession of loops, although I have yet to experience a standard dive loop on a B&M inverted coaster (they usually open with loops or immelmanns). BUT, if those inversions are correct, that WOULD mean that we probably get to see the world’s biggest batwing and inverted zero-g roll, assuming that the coaster would have to be tall enough to be able to get through all of those inversions. I could be wrong though.

6. I don’t know the blueprints look legit but I wouldn’t put it past cedar fair to leak faulty info. So i’m not even paying attention to this video

7. If you go on to Coasterforce’s facebook page you will see a photo of what could possibly be a leaked page on the new King’s Island roller coaster.

It says the new coaster is called “The Bat” and that it will be a wing coaster however don’t get too excited because the pictures of the new ride on the picture look very similar to Diamondback which we all know is already a roller coaster at King’s Island.

I think it’s just some page made up by some punk looking to mess with roller coaster enthusiasts and that the new ride will be a new B@M Invert which kind of dissapoints me. I’ve been on two inverts Flight Deck at Canada’s Wonderland and Montu at Busch Gardens Tampa and they really didn’t impress me. I would rather the coaster be a wing rider or a giga rather than an invert.

• While an invert being built is a stretch it seems more likely than a winged because cedar point just opened their own and while this may not be true Kings Island has said themselves It won’t be a winged coaster.

8. Hmmm, a hyper-inverted looper? That would definitely be unique! I doubt it will top 200 feet though, a new inverted coaster could be cool, just not as flashy as other options unless they really do something drastic with the design.

• Cool idea but let me point out some flaws.

First: an invert topping 200 ft. That is not at all likely and no company would really want to build that.

Second: Hyper looper. Even if the invert did top 200 ft if you then put loops at the end of this it would be way to extreme for riders and the coaster itself. This has been done before with steel phantom and look what happened to that.

I don’t want to be mean this a cool idea it just wouldn’t happen for a long time

9. Banshee it is, longest inverted 4124 feet.

• dag nabit you beat me to it paul

10. Being fair and all, Griffon and SheiKra are both hyperloopers, and Alpengeist is 5 feet under 200. Steel Phantom’s problem was poor design, the inversions on a hyperlooper must be huge or the forces will kill the fun of the ride.

Though, I am pretty satisfied with how Banshee turned out to look, should be an awesome ride!