The Tallest Roller Coasters in the World

Coasterology

What are the tallest roller coasters in the World? I’m kicking off Superlative Sundays with one of the most popular roller coaster records, height. The table below lists the 10 tallest roller coasters in the World from tallest to shortest.

The 10 Tallest Roller Coasters in the World

RankNameHeightTheme ParkLocationYear Opened
1stKingda Ka456 feetSix Flags Great AdventureNew Jersey, USA2005
2ndTop Thrill Dragster420 feetCedar PointOhio, USA2003
3rdSuperman: Escape from Krypton415 feetSix Flags Magic MountainCalifornia, USA1997
4thTower of Terror II377.3 feetDreamworldQueensland, Australia1997
5thFury 325325 feetCarowindsCharlotte, NC2015
6thSteel Dragon 2000318.3 feetNagashima Spa LandNagashima, Japan2000
7thMillennium Force310 feetCedar PointOhio, USA2000
8thLeviathan306 feetCanada's WonderlandOntario, Canada2012
9thIntimidator 305305 feetKings DominionVirginia, USA2010
10thThunder Dolphin262.5 feetTokyo Dome CityTokyo, Japan2003

Have You Ridden One of the Tallest Roller Coasters in the World?

I’m lucky enough to live in the United States where many of the World’s best and largest roller coasters are located. I’ve ridden four of the six American roller coasters that made this list. They are Fury 325, Kingda Ka, Millennium Force, and Intimidator 305.

I was minutes from riding Top Thrill Dragster when Cedar Point decided to close it for rain. And, I also ran into a similar situation when Superman The Escape broke down while I was in the queue.

How many of these sky-scraping rides have you ridden? Leave a comment below.

1. 5/10 for me! Leviathan is a sweet ride and much smoother than the other five I have ridden. Dragster and Ka were exciting the first few rides, but they’ve since been rightly labeled “one trick ponies.” I-305 is INTENSE and I am one of those riders who has experienced gray-outs. However, that doesn’t stop me from snagging multiple rides when the park first opens. I still remember my first ride on Millenium Force after a 3-hour wait with my son. I expected to be battered just from the sheer height of the first drop, but the ride was surprisingly smooth. A back-seat ride on Millie tops my steel coaster list.

2. 4/10 for me! Not bad considering I live in Australia. 😉 Tower of Terror 2, Superman: Escape From Krypton, Top Thrill Dragster & Millennium Force. Love them all! Just love the feeling of Tower of Terror & Superman. Have ridden both of them forwards & backwards. Backwards is definitely better! Millennium Force is my favourite, fantastic ride from start to finish.

• I purchased this bkamdaerer this layer in accordance with the testimonials. I will be 5’4, 127 lbs, dimension 4-6. I purchased a medium inside brown leafy, and it match fantastic. (I enjoy my clothes to become style installing.

• I live in Portland Oregon where there is a glut of overeducated bairtsas looking for work (what with Starbucks downscaling). Most of the people I formerly worked with reported taking more than six months to get that job in a convenience store.

3. 4/10 – Millennium Force (no. 1 on my steel coaster top 10 list), I-305 (no. 2), Kingda Ka (not in the top 10 by any stretch of the imagination) and TTD (likewise not a top-ten coaster). Agreed that Millie is super smooth and I-305 is intense. I came close to greying out once on I-305 but I think that that had more to do with intense heat and humidity – and overdoing it, as I had 20 roller coaster rides on my last visit to King’s Dominion – than anything else, as I’ve ridden I-305 about 15 times and didn’t have a problem the other 14 times. Would love to ride Leviathan but airfares to Canada are expensive. As to Dragster and Ka, it’s certainly true that they’re both one-trick ponies but I ride Ka a lot not only because it’s in my home park but because the rush of adrenaline from the launch never gets old.

4. 5 out of 10 for me, as well. I-305 is my favorite and, yes, I’ve ‘greyed out’ as well (lol).

5. 0/10 for me. 🙁 I should get to ride I-305 this year though for sure.:)

6. 4 for me so far, I hope to hit Wonderland for Leviathan soon.
    I agree with everyone so far. Millie’s back seat is so smooth and sweet, I305 is super intense, [the key to avoiding the grey out is easy for us… on the first turn scream and pump hands to keep blood flow to brain] Ka and TTD are totally worth it for the launch alone, TTD is better because of no OTS restraints.
    Some bad news for I305 lovers who have not ridden lately. She is still strong as ever for the first 2/3rds but the last 3rd is slower now due to stronger braking on the brake run as you start the small camels passing the station. Still the craziest ride ever, especially if you get to ride it at night in complete darkness.

7. I was curious how many of these Robb and Elissa of ThemeParkReview.com had ridden. They replied: “All of them”. Pretty impressive!

• hi dubai dreams,well u shud be on a look out for ur dvreirs license as that is a very important thing to look out for and also its sunny here all yr around so always have some sun block lotion,and also make sure u do not get into un metered taxis as that is not legal and may get u into a fix any ways you will have a great time here i can bet uany thin u can always keep in touch thru this

8. I’ve ridden all the ones on the list in the States. I305 being my fave of them all. One of the best drops of all time PLUS the ride never lets up. Unfortunate to hear that they may have toned the end of the ride down. 🙁

9. 2/10 for me both of them being the Ohioans but i found both great contrary to what most people say about millennium force not being exciting and dragster being too short and boring. One thing i found interesting is that you included ToT2 and superman escape because a lot of lists don’t including me due to the fact that they are not circuit coasters.

• I enjoyed bdnluiig the spaghetti towers. I really think that the room was really noisy because everyone was shouting how many minutes we have got. I think that whenever we do that again, we need to lower our noise down so we can concentrate on what we are doing and use our imagination as much as we needed to. I couldn’t believe how many cm Abbie S’s group was, It is the highest I have ever seen. I thought it was going to be like 50cm tall but it was actually 86cm.

10. 2/10 for me. I have ridden Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster. I actually liked Top Thrill Dragster more than Millennium Force. They are still both awesome though.

• “If you take out California (7.7%) and Michigan (8.7%), the average state ummeploynent rate falls from 5.63% to 5.52%”Oh but wait! If you consider that I’m not unemployed and I don’t know anyone that is unemployed then excluding the rest of the U.S. the ummeploynent rate is 0.0%!

11. 1/10 for me. I am only thirteen, but I rode kinda ka at age nine. I loved the drop and it almost feels like you are moving faster then the speed of sound. The only bad part is that if you want to put your hands up before you get rocketed up over the hill, you will get your shoulder ripped out of the socket. It is still awesome though.

12. Glad to add Fury 325 to this list and to my personal list. Pretty neat that my home park (Carowinds) has the tallest traditional lift hill in the World too.

• Thanks for updating this post…You also might want to change the first paragraph where it says, “The table below lists the 10 tallest roller coasters in the world from shortest to tallest,” since you listed them from tallest to shortest and only listed 9, not 10. Also, where you said that you’d ridden 3/5 of the American coasters, you might want to update that to include Fury 325. Thanks!

• this is the Future.Today The Whole World will Envy this Place ..belive me Dubai Really Rocks ..the beauty is that Dubai just Earns 6% from Oil.and the baacnle on trading inclusive of Infrastructure and real estate . i live right here in Dubai..

• I also wonder about the gomvnneert unemployment rates.I am an over 55 engineer who like mnay of my same age friends are self-employed when possible, part-time employed, temporary employed, must of us are not included in any unemployed statictics.

13. 2/10. I’ve only been on Millie and Fury325.