Lex Luthor Coaster Coming to Six Flags New England

Roller Coaster News

Six Flags New England’s Superman Takes a Villainous TurnLex Luthor Coaster
I’m going to ‘go out on a limb’ and unofficially announce Six Flags New England’s newest roller coaster: Lex Luthor. From the hints being dropped on the viral marketing site, Clawshun Industries, and the ride’s new purple paint job it’s pretty obvious that Superman Ride of Steel will be re-themed as a Lex Luthor coaster. The purple paint job had me scratching my head until I saw the viral marketing site Six Flags created to promote Sup’s redesign. Clawshun Industries is the fictional company whose web site has been hinting at ties to none other than the shady and corrupt LexCorp.

If you visit the message from the president page you scrub away the president’s hair to reveal his bald Luthor-like head. Also, when you scroll over certain text there are other references to Superman’s maniacal foe. Thanks to my comic geeky brother for reminding meClawshun Industries - Lex Luthor Roller Coaster of Lex’s war suit that’s purple and green (pictured above). So should we expect the track supports to be painted green too? We’ll see.I’ve been pretty critical of the Superman Ride of Steel renovations, fearing that Six Flags is messing with perfection. But if the ride’s getting a new name and theme at least that’s a positive. It’s annoying to have to preface any praise for the ride with, “The S:ROS in New England.” Since it’s the best ride on the planet it should definitely have its own identity. So far, I’m liking the creativity. It will be neat to see what kind of story they tell with the theming and all of the new special effects. Read more about the Superman Transformation. Also, check out my full review of Superman @ Six Flags New England.Superman Ride of Steel - Lex Luthor CoasterThis isn’t the first time a roller coaster will be named after a comic book villain. Six Flags New England already has a fun family roller coaster themed after Poison Ivy. Riddler’s Revenge is a record-holding stand-up looper at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Mr. Freeze is a launched shuttle coaster at Six Flags St. Louis. And Joker’s Jinx is a launched-looper at Six Flags America.

Visit the Lex Luthor-affiliated sites:
Clawshun Industries
Metropolis Stock Exchange

UPDATE – I was wrong about the Lex Luthor theme. Superman Ride of Steel is now Bizarro>>>

What do you think of the re-theming of Superman: Ride of Steel? Do you like the idea of a Lex Luthor coaster? Leave a comment below. Image courtesy of SFNEOnline.com.

1. The Lex Luthor theory is an interesting one, but I'm still skeptical. I think it's just as likely to be rethemed to Lex Luthor as it isn't.Also, some supports have begun being painted a slightly darker shade of the blue that was there, so those won't be turning green.

2. I was thinking more of a "Supernam VS. Lex Luthor" type of thing, but this actually makes more sense.

3. With the coasters unique layout, the first half being large drops and sweeping turns, and the second half being tight turns and air time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a versus coaster. That being said, I don't really like the idea of improving it. It worked for X2, simply because the cars worked better, but if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! Superman is one of my favorite coasters, I live 25 minutes from it, and go on it about 30 times a year. I don't want the main reason to go to SFNE demolished. I do live near Boulder Dash, so, I will still have that.

4. I guess it could be a 'versus' kind of theme. That could work. Like Andrew said the ride does have two halves. The first could be Sup's and the second half Lex's. And you're very lucky to live near SROS and Boulder Dash! I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new name will be. My bet is that Lex Luthor will appear somewhere in the name.And I'm glad to hear that the supports aren't turning green. That would've been pretty ugly.Thanks for reading.

5. Actually, in all honesty, I'd rather have them save the money for upgrading Superman, demolish or sell cyclone, and put something new there!And yeah, I'm lucky to live near both. 🙂 If you ever plan on visiting either Superman or Boulder Dash again, go during the fall. 2 reasons. The first is, that these rides are a lot more intense when its cold. The rides feels faster, the weather feels harsher. The second is it gets dark earlier. Now, while SFNE is open all day, Lake Compounce opens after 5. And if you get to the Lake at 5, you will have no lines for about 1-2 hours. They literally let you stay on the rides, as no one shows up until 8. Plus, Boulder Dash has little to no lighting, so it is almost impossible to see where you are going. Superman on the other hand, is a lot more scary, as the tunnel after the first drop becomes a gateway to hell.

6. So by "Lex Luthor" you mean "Bizarro", right?

7. Yep. I was wrong on the whole Lex Luthor thing. Read about the Bizarro coaster here. And feel free to leave your own reviews on that post.