Verbolten? – Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s 2012 Roller Coaster

Roller Coaster News

Verbolten - Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Reviews

UPDATE – July, 12th – Verbolten is open at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Read my full review: Review of Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Verbolten Busch Gardens 2012 Roller CoasterI’ve been a bit out of the loop lately with work and the research that I’ve been doing for some new projects. Last week, plans and a name for Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s 2012 project were uncoverd. The name Verbotlen was trademarked by the park. Fittingly, “verboten” without the ‘L’, translates to “forbidden” which aligns with the rumored Autobahn ride through the Black Forest theme.

Blueprints Show Verbolten’s Layout
BGWFans posted images showing the layout for the 2012 coaster and then pulled Busch Gardens Williamsburg 2012 - Verbolten Roller Coasterthem down. They’re still up at ScreamScape. From what I can tell, the ride will leave the station and enter the ‘event building’ we’ve heard about for months. Some are comparing the indoor portion to Revenge of the Mummy, but it’s hard to know exactly what will happen in there.  Then it will pay homage to the Big Bad Wolf with a dive to the Rhine River after passing through the covered bridge pictured above. It looks to be a highly-themed adventure and I can’t wait for more details.

Zierer to Design Verbolten
Also, ScreamScape reported via BGWFans via ThemeParkReview that the new coaster will be designed by Zierer. A user in the message board there gave a fewBusch Gardens Williamsburg 2012 - Verbolten Roller Coaster bits of information about the new ride. He must have some inside knowledge or a reliable source as most who just through out information like that get ignored or even attacked. Most figured that the new multi-launched roller coaster would be designed by Intamin like Busch Gardens Tampa’s Cheetah Hunt as the two parks often install similar coasters. It seems weird to me that SeaWorld Parks would have an Intamin designed multi-launcher in Tampa, a Mack launcher in San Diego, and a different designed launcher in Virginia. Maybe the parks don’t coordinate as much as we think or the different designers have specific solutions that better fit exactly
what the parks are looking for.

A Car-themed Forbidden Forest Ride with a Vertical Launch?
Zierer’s most common coasters are small family coasters like BGT’s Air Groverand BGW’s Grover’s Alpine Express. Their only launch coaster that I’m aware of isWicked at Lagoon. People seem to think that the Zierer design rumor could give credence to another rumor making the rounds on the Web. There’s been a rumor that Busch’s new coaster will have a vertical launch. I’ve also heard mention of a something similar to Thirteen’s freefall drop platform.

What do you think Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s 2012 roller coaster will be? Leave a comment below.

Go to Dollywood’s 2012 roller coaster 2012 Roller Coasters2012 Roller Coasters Page Go to Apocalypse at Six Flags America

1. I don't know how much you know about this but I've read on the same BGWfans forum that BGE won't work with Intamin because of the issues they had with them on Escape from Pompeii.

• I hadn't heard that rumor Mike.

• It is widely known in this area.. The history with BGE and Intamin is very rocky and they for the most part refuse to work with Int.

Take a look at the latest concepts up around one of the sites listed.

• From the comments I read it pretty much said that the issue was with the splashdown reaching all the way past the train tracks on Escape from Pompeii. I don't know the particulars but I guess it was a difficult working relationship so BGE severed ties with them. If this is the truth at least we've gotten some great B&M's in the park.

• I should also add that unless the ride turns out to be a horrible disaster then it really won't matter who manufactures the ride. Of course if it goes bad then people will say "why didn't you go with Intamin like BGT" or if it is Intamin and has issues they would say "why did you go with Intamin." Either way I expect nothing but the best from BGE. The plans for the ride are extremely interesting to look at and look very well themed. Hopefully it will have a good capacity. That is one great thing about all the B&M and Intamin coasters out there.

• Isn't Mach Tower an Intamin Gyro Drop?

• Mach tower is built by Moser and Italian amusement ride manufacturer.

2. it looks like the drop will be just before the ride's exit from the building. If this is done right, it will put Zierer on the map. Personally, the train and track looks more Gerstlauer or Vekoma. I believe I have plans to go out there next summer.

3. BGE better play their cards right too, and not cut corners like BGT did with Cheetah Hunt. Seriously, Cheetah Hunt was supposed to dart in and out of rocky trenches, and now with less than a week before opening day those trenches are nothing but bare concrete.

4. well, I've heard good things about Wicked so I'm hoping it'll be a worthy successor to the Wolf and won't be another Drachen Fire.

5. SWP tends to be cautious with which companies they use to make their coasters. It makes sense they'd use a famous company like Intamin as well as the lesser-known Zierer.

What I want to know is what track they'll use. They have their own uniqe type of track, ( http://rcdb.com/1062.htm?p=2337 ) but recentley they've also been using a track type that looks a bit like Intamin's. ( http://rcdb.com/3534.htm?p=19888 )

Either way, this ride looks like it could be a lot of fun.

• That first example you give is actually Schwarzkopf track. That coaster was designed by Schwarzkopf and built by Zierer.

I expect thisone to use the Intamin like track

6. I just had a new thought, what if there was some miscommunication? The source could have said Premier, but the listener could have mistaken it for Zierer. Since they rhyme, could this be a wild goose chase?

7. i think it will be like cheetah hunt … just a different layout … it is supposed to be a multi launching coaster … cheetah hunt is a multi launching coaster …. so they should be pretty similar

8. On ThemeParkReview cfc got pictures of land clearing being done at BGW for VerBolten!

9. NOT TO BE A HATER DONT GET MAD:

When I heard it wasnt being made by intamin I lost interest in this ride. I doubt it will amount to Ceetah hunt now im very dissapointed. Ill have to see a POV or a 3d generated simuatoin of this before I can give it any props Im not liking what I see at all. Just my opinion feel free to disagree.

• I didn't hear anything about this being built by Intamin, I heard it was being built by Zierer. Of course that's a rumor now. There's not much (official stuff) being said about this ride.

10. when i first saw the renderings of this ride and read it would not be intamin, i shurely thought premiere wich is one of my favs because of flight of fear and The Mummy, so i did get excited but i after hearing about zierer…. I just want this to live up to its predecessor Big Bad Wolf. BBW deserves her space to be used for a thrilling coaster that would require atleast the same height restrictions, not another version of Stunt Coaster (formally italian job)… not to get me wrong, I loved stunt coaster when it was italian job but its just an hour up the highway away.

• I agree with coasterluv, the new coaster should contain some sort of continuity with BBW. That was the first "grown-up" coaster my kids rode and it was a wonderful intro for them to the world of roller coasters (and they've grown up into coaster lovers just like Mom and Dad).

11. I just had a crazy thought. What if the story goes that there is a new car fuel. What if that fuel is air? I'm thinking it could be an S&S coaster.

• Crazy thought? I think it's genious!!! S&S has made highly themed launched coasters before (Powder Keg), so your "crazy" idea may actually be true. I've never rode an S&S coaster, and Busch Gardens is close to me, so I'm hoping for this to happen.

12. Sorry guys. I haven't updated this post, but it's widely thought that this coaster will be made by Zierer. I'll have all of the details this Saturday when Busch finally releases details on the ride. I can't wait!

13. It sounds sort of like a cross between Cheetah Hunt and Thirteen at Alton Towers, with the "event building" doing something with moving track. But I guess we'll know more soon.