Six Flags America Announces Apocalypse Stand Up Coaster for 2012

Roller Coaster News

Apocalypse Stand Up Coaster Coming to Six Flags America in 2012
Six Flags America (Washington D.C.) will be replacing the recently removed Skull Mountain ride with the park’s first new roller coaster in years. The park will be re-theming Six Flags Great America’s stand up coaster Iron Wolf as Apocalypse – The Last Stand. The Bolliger & Mabillard stand up coaster will be 100 feet tall, 2,900 feet long, and top out at 55 mph. Apocalypse is scheduled to open on May 25, 2012.

Here’s a video previewing Six Flags America’s Apocalypse roller coaster:

See more 2012 roller coasters set to debut at other theme parks around the World.

I’ll be adding my take in the coming days, but what do you think of this new coaster for Six Flags America? Leave a comment below and vote in this first impression poll.Β Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Go to Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg

2012 Roller Coasters

2012 Roller Coasters Page

Go to Iron Shark at Galveston Island Historical Pleasure Pier

1. The Last Stand? I though This was the first stand-up?! πŸ™‚

• Yeah that confused me too! I also wonder when SFA will get a NEW coaster, not a rough, used one like this.

• i think it was the "last stand" of them removing rides before they finally add one. LOL!

2. I remember well my only experience on this coaster. back in July '09 the park's power got shut off and I was stuck just outside of the station with a wedgie in that standing position for 45 minutes. Is it just me, or does the track in the logo look like arrow track?

• Your right they did that for the logo for Dare Devil At SFOG

3. The name is cool but I hope they actually add some good theming touches. And the color scheme is also awesome!

4. I love they had the nerve to call it a "new" experience. Yet another season of skipping SFA for me.

• LMFAO! πŸ™‚ Thats funny +5

5. My take:

Noot impressed at all really. The ride isnt a new or innovative idea its actually quote old. The skull decoration oon that wood coaster looks cool (or has that always been there ???) but other than that this isnt really a must ride for me. Maybe if I went (dnt plan on it) Id ride it but ehh..

6. It should be good for the park from a GP standpoint but as an enthusiast, totally lack luster. At the very least it gives me another chance to get the credit as I never rode the Wolf. It seems like it may at least get some new rolling stock and hopefully they rehab the track to help improve the rough experience.

7. Yet another recycled Six Flags coaster name (not to mention coaster).

8. Bring back Skull Mountain! This old nut-crusher isn't worth losing Skull Mountain for. Come on Six Flags; we wait 10 years for a new coaster, and you send us a hand-me-down that's nearly 20 years old, and tear out one the best attractions in the park just to make room for it. Not excited in the slightest…

• Haaa man I feel your anger.

9. welp. something is better than nothing…. unless its a SLC. lol.

• the standard SLC layout i mean. lol.

10. One word…. "OUCH!"

11. Dude, I have stopped going to Six Flags 5 years ago because they didn't build anything new. I go to Kings Dominion in Virginia now.. Honestly, 55mph? Give me a break. I drive my car faster then that everyday. Looks like another trip to Kings Dominion this year.

12. As in Last Stand, I'm guessing Six Flags promises not to move any Stand Ups anymore :p

13. Is this a clone of Gerorgia Scoocher?

• Good question Guilherme. No. Iron Wolf/Apocalypse has a different layout than Georgia Scorcher. They do have similar stats though.

14. Okay. Went on the ride and was disappointed. I'm always in the mood for a thrill and this ride did not live up to my expectations. Overall the ride was just like or similar to the mind eraser or the Joker ride. I still believe that the Superman ride is THE best ride at SFA. My wife, she loves the Joker ride. If I were to give this ride (Apocalypse) a grade, one out of ten I would give it a 4 and 1/2. The anticipation of walking along the gate walk to the ride left me in suspense. But from the beginning until the ride finished, my wife was the first one to critique it before me, because I'm usually the first one, and I was surprised because she's not really that big of a critic. I believe she was more disappointed than I was. Again, the Superman ride has my vote. But I have to say Cedar Point has some of the best rides to date.

• Sorry you were disappointed. It's technically older than the rides you mentioned (since it's actually a relocated ride). So, saying it was similar or just like the other rides is pretty good considering its age. But, yes. Superman or maybe Batwing are the best rides in the park in my opinion. I don't think Apocalypse will unseat either of them.